Chicken Cheese Dinner Rolls
250g (2 cups) all-purpose flour
1 tsp instant dry yeast
1 tbsp sugar
125ml (1/2 cup) warm milk
1 large egg, whisked. (take 1 tbsp for glazing)
3 tbsp unsalted butter/margarine
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp oil
1 stalk green onion
1 cup of shredded cooked chicken
1 tsp plain flour
1 cup milk
Seasoning: salt, pepper, chili flakes, parsley, turmeric, to taste.
1 cup or more of shredded cheese, this recipe used grated mozzarella cheese.
Sesame seeds & parsley for the sprinkle.
Baking time & temperature:
25 – 30 minutes at 180°C top-bottom heat
OR 20 minutes at 160°C FAN mode
An oven may vary.
- In a large bowl, put the dough ingredients and stir using a strong spoon until smooth for about 5 – 8 minutes. We can use a mixer for about 3 – 4 minutes.
- Cover the dough in the same bowl you’re using, for 60 – 90 minutes at a warm place. A colder place will take longer.
- Meanwhile, cook the filling. Brown the onions until softened and add carrot & green onion, stir briefly, and add the chicken. Stir well.
- Add the flour and stir evenly. Pour the milk, stir and cook over medium until the milk dry, cool down.
- Take the dough out from the bowl onto a floured counter and shape into a ball.
- Divide the dough into 10 pieces, shape into balls.
- Flatten the small dough into an oval and thin using a rolling pin. Add 1 tablespoon of the filling at the edge. Add some grated cheese on top.
- Wrap it up, the same way when you make egg rolls or spring rolls.
- Put in a baking pan or just simply arrange on a baking sheet/tray. Cover for 30 minutes at a warm place.
- 10 – 15 minutes before baking time preheat the oven at 180°C
- Egg wash using 1 tablespoon egg from the dough. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and parsley if you like, but it adds the flavor.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes at 180°C top-bottom heat OR 20 minutes at 160°C fan mode. An oven may vary.
- For the stretchy cheesy moment, please serve while still warm-hot.
Considering the fillings I suggest consuming it on the same baking day.
To freeze after baked, after cool, put in a freezer plastic bag/container up to a month. Defrost at room temperature until soft again before reheating.