Garlic Cheese Breadsticks
7g (2-1/4 tsp) active dry yeast
1 tsp sugar
250ml (1 cup) warm water
375g all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder or minced garlic
3 tbsp olive oil/vegetable oil
Marinara sauce to apply on the dough
1 cup grated mozzarella
parsley, oregano, a pinch of salt, pepper, chili, to taste.
1/2 cup or more of grated aged Cheddar, a handful of young Cheddar, a handful of homemade breadcrumbs.
Dipping sauce to serve.
- In a mixing bowl: add active dry yeast, sugar, and water. Stir and cover for 10 minutes.
- Add the all-purpose flour, salt, garlic, and olive oil.
- Stir together and knead for about 6 – 8 minutes. We can use a mixer.
- Cover and rest the dough for about 60 – 90 minutes at a warm place.
- Prepare the filling and the coating ingredients.
- Flatten the dough into a rectangular shape, this recipe 45 x 30 cm.
- Cut into small rectangles. I make it into 12 pieces but for the last 4 pieces from the end cuts which is smaller, I shape it into rolls.
- Apply marinara sauce or other tomato sauce on each dough. Add the filling.
- Close the dough with the seam facing up.
- Brush the top with the sauce and coat with the cheese mixture. Place on a baking tray.
- Preheat oven at 200°C for 10 minutes before baking. Bake for 20 minutes at 200°C.
- Serve warm with a dipping sauce of your choice.